Job opening: Main Street and Special Events Director, Shakopee Chamber & Visitors Bureau
The Director is responsible for creating and managing programs, community events, and projects that meet the objectives of the Main Street Shakopee district revitalization program. The program is a community‐based effort to revitalize Shakopee’s central business district. The programs and projects are organized by four key principles:
- Economic Vitality: strengthening and further expanding the economic base
- Design: enhancing the physical appearance of the district (buildings, public spaces, streetscape)
- Promotion: marketing the district’s assets and coordinating special events and retail promotions
- Organization: building cooperation among the many groups involved in Main Street and coordinating volunteer
The Director is an advocate for the district and a positive and energetic source for its long‐term revitalization.
This is a full‐time, salaried position. The Main Street & Events Director is an employee of the Shakopee Chamber & Visitors Bureau and reports directly to the Chamber President and Board
of Directors. The Director will typically work 40 hours per week, more as events dictate.
The Director’s duties encompass a variety of tasks. Prioritization of these tasks will be determined by the Main Street Steering Committee and President of the Shakopee Area Chamber of Commerce in conjunction with the Director. Quarterly evaluations will be based on the pre‐determined goals and objectives for the Director.
1. Coordinate the development of annual, short, and long‐term work plan(s) with the Main Street Steering Committee
2. Coordinate the activities of the Main Street program volunteer committees, ensuring that communication among the committees is well established.
3. Coordinate volunteers to accomplish activities of the Main Street program.
4. Manage administrative aspects of the program including fundraising planning, program communication (press, web, social media, e‐news, partners), work plan development, program strategy and program evaluation.
5. Coordinate and communicate with the MN Main Street state program coordinator including quarterly district data reports and all reports required by the state and national Main Street programs.
6. Become familiar with all persons and groups directly and indirectly involved in the downtown. Build productive relationships with appropriate public entities. Build productive relationships with district business owners and ensure regular communication with private businesses.
7. Assist with business retention, expansion, and recruitment including providing information, expertise, and appropriate referrals to business owners, marketing the Shakopee Central Business District to outside businesses, working with developers and building owners to enhance the quality of retail and commercial space with special attention to historic preservation, creating economic development strategies that utilize the community’s economic and human resources.
8. Coordinate and assist in the planning and execution of special events, retail promotions, district marketing and image‐building campaigns that build awareness and/or funding for the district and program. Speaking engagements, media interviews, press releases and media relations should foster an understanding of the program’s goals and objectives.
9. Produce press releases and maintain good relations with the various media in the area. Write, edit, and publish informational brochures, information packets, and flyers.
10. Develop funding sources for expansion and development of the Shakopee Main Street program in concert with other organizations, agencies, and government entities.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- At least three years’ experience in one or more of the following: business organizations, non‐profit corporations, small business development, public relations, planning, retailing, or fundraising; Chamber of Commerce, Destination Marketing, or Main Street experience is a plus.
- Experience implementing large‐scale events including committee coordination, sponsorship development, logistics, managing a budget with specific goals, event marketing, and event follow up.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; public speaking experience is a plus.
- General computer skills and be proficient in design applications, word processing, spreadsheet, web, and social media applications.
- A self‐starter, energetic, imaginative, and well‐organized.
- Friendly and personable; work well with a variety of different personalities.
- Entrepreneurial and capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment.
- An excellent volunteer coordinator and rapport builder.
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Tim Zunker, Shakopee Chamber and Visitors Bureau President, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications due by end of day on December 17, 2021.