Job Opening: Member Relations Manager, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
Title: Member Relations Manager
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Jenny Munyer, Vice President, Member Development and Engagement
Summary: Support the membership efforts of the Minnesota Chamber, with specific responsibility for day-to-day membership retention and membership dues collection.
The Minnesota Chamber is a statewide organization representing more than 6,300 businesses of all types and sizes – and more than half a million employees – throughout Minnesota. The Chamber works tirelessly for its members; providing one-on-one business services, opportunities to grow their networks and knowledge base, and cultivating an economic environment where businesses stay and grow in our state. A business climate that allows for innovation and forward-thinking leadership will help grow the strength of Minnesota’s economy for generations to come.
We average a 95% member retention rate year-after-year. The Membership Relations Manager plays a very large role in accomplishing and maintaining that rate by communicating with our membership to increase member participation, reinforcing and informing members’ knowledge about our benefits, programs, and the services we offer, and collecting membership dues.
To maintain our retention rate, we need to know and understand our members and what their perception of “ROI” is. Chamber members are from all over the state, diverse in size and industry, and have many different interests, expectations, and needs. Our retention plan is meant to be flexible and individualized in many circumstances – it is a guide to follow. There are many ways to communicate on a regular basis with our members. Our member “touches” include embracing technology and using our Atlas database, Outlook, phone calls, Zoom, and social media platforms (primarily LinkedIn).
1. Carry out overall Retention Plan of the organization including but not limited to the following:
- Reach out to all new members within their first month of membership and onboard as needed.
- Manage touch points with certain categories of members.
- Provide proactive outreach to members to check in.
- Educate new contacts on benefits of membership.
- Design engagement strategies for members when requested
2. Contact all delinquent members and continue collection efforts until account is paid or cancelled. Take appropriate action on all requests to cancels.
3. Compile past dues, monthly member cancellation list and work with Vice President, Member Development and Engagement, in collecting dues and compiling drop list at the end of each month.
4. Maintain and update Atlas database in regards to representatives and member contact information. Maintain accurate and efficient member responses.
5. Work to maintain HR360 database in regards to assigning usernames and passwords to members who request them. Delete dropped members from HR360 database.
6. Provide background and research for personal member visits with significant investors and member prospects for the President and other staff.
7. Assist at events and with administrative tasks (invoice mailings, event prep, etc.) as needed.
1. Associate’s degree in communications, business, or related field preferred, or equivalent experience.
2. 2-5 years’ experience in customer service – non-profit or trade association background a plus, but not required.
3. Excellent customer service mindset with strong professional phone, email, Zoom and interpersonal skills; ability to build positive rapport with members.
4. Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbally).
5. Ability to make independent judgments and decisions.
6. Proficient with technology including Microsoft Office. Must have ability to learn the Chamber’s database software (Atlas).
7. Ability to work unsupervised with a high level of attention to detail.
8. Must exhibit a friendly, positive attitude and be a team player.