Job Opening: President, Shakopee Area Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau
The Shakopee Area Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Chamber & CVB President. If interested, please review the job description provided and apply today!
1. Engage local business and government to promote economic development and the role of local business in government processes and decision making.
2. Actively promote Chamber of Commerce & Convention and Visitors Bureau as the voice of local business and tourism.
3. Develop and implement strategy to actively grow and maintain membership for the Chamber of Commerce representing all segments of the Shakopee area.
4. Develop and implement strategy to grow tourism travel and spending to the Shakopee area.
5. Serve as the public face of the Chamber of Commerce & Convention and Visitors Bureau by maintaining communication with membership and the community. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Correspondence – Prepares or directs the preparation of all correspondence. Responsible for quality control.
- News Releases – Prepares or directs the preparation of articles or fact sheets reflecting the views of the organization or the reporting of projects or activities. Serves as contact between organization and media.
- Public Speaking – Represents the organization at appropriate meetings. May speak or find others to speak about community and Chamber/CVB activities. Serves as Chamber/CVB spokesperson on pertinent issues at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- General – Maintains close liaison with all groups in the community. Counsels on developments affecting the business community. Reviews and evaluates legislation, pending or proposed, which will have an immediate or future impact on Chamber/CVB goals and policies, and refers to proper committee for study and future action.
6. Ensure the effective development, coordination, supervision and implementation of all programs, signature events, activities and goals as established by the Board of Directors. Assist Board of Directors in developing annual and long-term program of work.
7. Foster and maintain positive public relations and communication with the membership, the media, the community, and all government entities.
8. Be responsible for the accurate and appropriate bookkeeping, record keeping and budget preparation for the organization and file appropriate tax reports.
9. Maintain an effective, efficient, and harmonious staff. Engage, discharge, and supervise all employees in accordance with the policy and procedures established by the Board of Directors and the statutes of the State of Minnesota.
10. Develop comprehensive plans, both short and long range, reflecting the goals of the Board of Directors.
11. Explore and develop any new or innovative means of achieving the objectives for the Chamber of Commerce & Convention and Visitors Bureau.
12. Attend all Board of Directors meetings. Shall be a member of the Executive Committee. Shall personally or through staff, serve as an ex-officio member of all committees.
13. Keep open and complete communication in a timely manner to the Board of Directors.
14. Fulfill any other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
15. Attend necessary meetings and conferences to stay abreast of topics with an impact on the organization.
Requirements and Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Advertising, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
2. Minimum ten years’ experience in Chamber of Commerce or Convention and Visitors Bureau, with a minimum of five years’ experience in both.
3. Chamber of Commerce & Convention and Visitors Bureau executive experience including management of staff.
4. Minimum five years’ experience implementing comprehensive marketing strategy promoting a destination for tourism.
5. Minimum four years’ experience implementing a strategy to sell a destination to meetings, sports, groups, and event planners.
6. Experience working with state-level associations for Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau. Serving in a leadership capacity with state-level associations preferred.
7. Experience working with local, state, and national officials on initiatives to further business and tourism development for a community.
8. Excellent oral and written communication skills including social media experience, computer skills including CRM and creative suite programs, and organizational skills necessary to manage operations of organization.
9. In the process of completing or having completed Institute for Organization Management through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
10. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and respond to organization needs in prompt and timely fashion.
1. This is an exempt, full-time position. It does require time outside an 8:00-5:00, Monday through Friday schedule.
2. Requires travel both locally and out of town.
3. The ability to transport, set up and take down tradeshow or expo display and exhibit materials.
4. Ability to operate basic office equipment and computer functions.
Employee Benefits Summary
1. Salary is commensurate with experience. The Chamber strives to provide compensation at market rates when compared to like organizations.
2. Health and Dental Insurance, for the President is provided on a 75% employer/25% employee basis. Family coverage is available at the cost of the employee.
3. Business travel, i.e. mileage, will be reimbursed at the IRS maximum.
4. 3% match for SIMPLE IRA effective immediately upon employment.
5. All business expenses will be reimbursed.
Interested in applying for this position? Please send cover letter and resume to: CChadderdon@shakopee.org