Job Posting: Executive Director, Glenwood Lakes Area Chamber
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall organization and “big picture vision” of the Glenwood Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce, serving the Glenwood community, Pope County, the West Central Region in the State of Minnesota. As the “face” of the organization, this position is responsible for maintaining and fostering community and business relationships, driving membership, and for being a liaison among community organizations, businesses, and the local government to create a favorable business and living environment through active programs aimed at improving business-civic conditions. A dedicated, knowledgeable, and driven team of Board members will assist the Executive Director in this work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a mission, vision, and strategic plan to guide the Chamber of Commerce;
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the Chamber of Commerce and Chamber office;
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues affecting the Chamber of Commerce, and review proposals and projects as needed to present to the Board of Directors;
- In partnership with the Board President, act as an official spokesperson for the Chamber of Commerce, including official correspondence on behalf of and jointly with the Board of Directors;
- Facilitate Chamber, committee and public meetings as needed by preparing meeting notices, agendas, and needed reports, and gathering data and materials for use by the Board, and ensure that minutes are taken at all meetings;
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services, and ensure the programs and services offered by the Chamber of Commerce contribute to the overall mission of the organization.
- Work with the Board of Directors to prepare a comprehensive budget, to secure adequate funding for the operations of the Chamber of Commerce, and approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board of Directors;
- Administrates the funds of the Chamber of Commerce according to the approved budget and monitor the cash flow of the organization;
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are implemented and followed;
- Research potential funding sources to secure adequate funding for the operation of the Chamber of Commerce, participate in fundraising activities as deemed appropriate and necessary, and report the current and projected financial status to the Board;
- Ensure that the Chamber of Commerce complies with all federal, state, and local laws regarding taxation and withholding payments for personnel, payments of debts, and protecting the financial integrity of the organization.
- Knowledge and use of QuickBooks.
Human Resource Planning and Management Duties:
- Establish and maintain a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Determine staff, volunteer, and committee responsibilities needed for program delivery, and the day-to-day operations of the Chamber office;
- Recruit, interview, and select staff and/or volunteers that have the proper technical and personal abilities to help further the origination’s vision, mission, and strategic plan;
- Ensure that all staff and/or volunteers receive the proper orientation and training, and coach and mentor staff and/or volunteers as appropriate to improve performance;
- Oversee the daily work of all staff and/or volunteers, delegate duties and responsibilities as appropriate, and communicate effectively on a regular basis;
- Implement a performance management process for all staff and/or volunteers, which includes monitoring the performance of staff and/or volunteers on an ongoing and regular basis.
- Responsible for membership recruitment, development, and retention through on-site and virtual visits and correspondence through various forms of communication as needed;
- Manage current membership and handle correspondence to members regarding membership status including billing members for annual membership dues, and other membership information;
- Maintain membership and prospect files, and prepare membership and recruitment reports for the Board of Directors;
- Act as a liaison between members, potential members and the Board of Directors.
Member Advocacy and Public Relations:
- Responsible for preparing, disseminating, and maintaining a high level of open communications to the membership and the general public at all times;
- Serve as a liaison between the Chamber and all groups in the community;
- Serve as a contact between the organization and the media, and advise the Board regarding developments affecting the business community;
- Direct the preparation of official publications of the Chamber such as brochures, bulletins, information packets, member directories, newsletters, news releases, social media pages, website, and all other public publications;
- Represent the Chamber of Commerce at meetings of other organizations; appear before City Councils and other governmental bodies; make public addresses as requested and secure other speakers concerning community and Chamber activities;
- Review and evaluate legislation which will have an impact on goals and policies of the Chamber of Commerce, and take necessary action to ensure that the Chambers interests are represented.
Community Events and Tourism:
- Assist with the coordination and success of the many Chamber events including, but not limited to: Annual Meeting and Community Awards Luncheon, Chamber Cup Golf Tournament, Chamber Lunch and Learn events, Glenwood Night with the Alexandria Blizzard, Glenwood Day at Andes Tower Hills, Pope County Community Expo, Rise & Shine, Salute to Business and Industry, and all other events as directed by the Board of Directors
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strong drive for excellence including providing high quality service by establishing, following, and enforcing organization quality policies and procedures.
- Comply with all legal regulations impacting the Chamber and provide the highest degree of personal and professional ethics and values, including confidentiality of private information.
- Maintain Chamber knowledge by attending educational workshops, classes or programs.
- Obtain knowledge of Chamber Nation Database, and all other Chamber information systems.
- Create a safe and inclusive environment for all staff, members and guests.
- Complete other duties as needed.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university in business or closely related field is preferred.
- Five years related experience leading and/or managing a business or non-profit organization, OR equivalent combination of education and experience listed above.
- Creative problem-solving skills to identify and create solutions for our members to develop and grow their business.
- Excellent communication skills, representing the Chamber and the community in all forms of media; written, verbal, listening, and public speaking.
- Ability to work on a computer for an extended period of time.
- Must be able to regularly travel locally for meetings, training and special events.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position.
- Knowledge of the Chamber of Commerce Industry
- Knowledge of economic development and real estate industries
- Proven success in fundraising and non-profit organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products
- Event planning
- Marketing experience including ability to create and implement meaningful social media content that inspires connections through dialog and messaging
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. Additional duties may be assigned at any time. Employees will be evaluated in part based upon their performance of the tasks listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise the job description at any time.
Job Type: Full-time
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Associate (Preferred)